$550 inc gst
1 evening + 2 days
Fox Peak – Two Thumbs Range, Canterbury
Arrive by 8pm at Fox Lodge on the first night for a brief on the following 2 days
Appropriate for ages 16 and up
The course is for those looking to start exploring the mountains. A moderate level of fitness is needed and experience in the outdoors is helpful.
The course will cover
- Gear Choice
- Basic Navigation
- Moving on snow
- Walking with an Ice Axe
- Self-Arresting with and without an ice axe
- Avalanche awareness and an introduction to using avalanche rescue equipment
2 nights of accomodation is provided at Fox Peak Ski Club Lodge
2wd vehicle access to the lodge
Chains will not be required
We will arrange transport from the lodge to the top of the road each day in a Peel Forest Outdoor Centre vehicle.
If snow is forecast to be below the lodge and chains or 4wd is needed, we will be in contact to arrange transport to the lodge from the valley floor.
Bring food for 2 nights and 2 days. Lots of hearty snacks and a packed lunch for during the day. The lodge has good cooking facilities with an outside cool store.
Arrive by 8:00 pm on at Fox Peak Lodge for briefing
Ready to book!
- Day pack (approx. 20L) with a pack liner – plastic rubbish bags work
- Suitable active clothing for the weather (no cotton!)
- Waterproof raincoat and over trousers (we go – rain or shine)
- Thermal top
- Thermal bottom
- Fleece jacket
- Tramping boots (worn in!)
- Water Bottle (2L minimum)
- Cap or Hat
Gear that can be supplied if needed:
- Fleece Tops
Overnight – if staying at the Cabins:
- Sleeping bag
- Warm hat or gloves (winter)
- Tramping poles
- Puffer jacket