Wednesday 15th May
Greetings from Peel Forest Outdoor Centre Team
Wow – where did summer go … what a amazing season we have had this year with such enthusiastic young people joining us on so many different adventures!
- In April, our Gold & Silver Duke of Edinburgh students enjoyed good weather n their multiday activities. Gold students tramped from Mesopotamia to Lake Tekapo & Silver students camped and completed their activities in the Lake Heron area. The Duke of Edinburgh awards are gaining popularity along with Hillary Outdoors Courses. We will be running Bronze, Silver & Gold trips again in Spring/summer 2019/2020.
For those who are wondering what the Duke of Edinburgh International award is all about, check out their website:
- Peel Forest Holiday Programs- Again we ran the very popular holiday programs through the Easter break. Our first three days were based around Orari river & Peel Forest scenic reserve and enjoyed great weather and fun times. Pictures can be found on our Facebook page. Unfortunately our last trip – 2 day Waimakariri rafting weekend – had to be postponed due to marginal weather forecast through Arthurs Pass. We are looking to run this weekend in October if you are interested in joining us. The Holiday programs will run again in the spring holidays, please contact the centre on firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 696 3832 to be added to mail out list.
- Winter 2019 – This coming winter we have developed winter activities based out at Raincliff Camp. Options include alpine skills, snow caving, skiing at Mt Dobson, flat water kayak at Lake Opuha and abseil & rock climbing. We can also offer transport to and from the Centre. Please get in contact with us to find out more details, course dates and how book. We would also be happy to tailor a program to suit your needs.
- 5 & 10 adventure journeys – Thanks to very generous funding from Pub Charities & Rangitata Diversion Race Management Limited, we are excited to be expanding our multiday adventures in Spring, these journeys are aimed at youth development.
- Spring timetable – our timetable for Spring & Summer 19/20 is getting full. Please get in touch as possible to ensure that we can accommodate your requirements both in the field and at the Eco Lodge if needed. Don’t forget we now offer catering to groups staying at the Eco Lodge.
- Eco Lodge upgrades
After 15 years of providing accommodation to schools, community groups and the public, the lodge is in need of a upgrade. In 2000, the Peel Forest Outdoors Pursuits Trust bought the 22 hectares of land at the EcoLodge site and set up a QEII Covenant to protect the significant native bush and the on-going regeneration of this. The EcoLodge building was donated in 2003, originally for the Conservation Corps programme that was running onsite. Since then the Trust and staff at Peel Forest Outdoors Pursuit Centre have continued to develop the Eco-based accommodation that can be used alongside the outdoor centre programmes.
The focus area of the Lodge renovation are :
1. Water Supply
2. New Kitchen facilities including cooker & fridge
3. Alternative Energy update
4. New decking and bunk beds
Through givealittle & private donations, we are well over half way to raising the total money needed. Exciting times as we started working on the renovations with digger work along with 300 metres of laid last week. We are so grateful to the Proutings of Village Landscapes for the generous digger support and Alterno Foundation for their donation. We will post updates as we progress during the winter on Facbook & Instagram.
If you would like to help with donation or time, please contact us at the centre. We truly appreciate it !
- Our Grade 2 Kayakers & Godzone competitors set out on their events over summer and this week we are running our Grade 2 kayak course for next year event. We will be running Coast to Coast & Godzone coaching in spring, including our new multiday course:
Coast to Coast Intensive course – NEW THIS YEAR
9th – 16th December.
This 8 day course is aimed at International, out of towners & local competitors alike. Complete your grade 2 kayak qualification then transfer to multisport boats for some Waimakariri river experience, then a trip through Goat Pass (subject to weather) with further rock hopping & river crossing instruction to install confidence. Additionally there will be opportunity to be transported to & from the last bike section. The aim of this course is to provide as much exposure to the different sections Coast to Coast course ahead of race day in a intensive block of time. This course includes accommodation & transport to and from activities. Please contact us for more information and price.
- As always, we are indebted to our wonderful funders & sponsors who continue to support the centre:
Air Rescue Services Limited, Alterno Foundation, Estate S A Hensley Charitable Trust, Pub Charity, Sargood Trust, The Southern Trust, Trust Aoraki, W Toomey Charitable Trust, Community Trust Mid & South Canterbury, North End Motors Geraldine, Kumho Tyres, Woodleys Transport & Contracting, Ashley Electronics.
We’ve are social ! Keep up to date with us on Instagram @peelforestoutdoors or facebook/peelforestoutdoorscentre
Friday 22nd March
Busy day last Friday here at the Eco Lodge with Adventure Junkies & ourselves teaming to run a corporate challenge. Activities included paint ball & helicopter rides !
Thank you to Pub Charity for their generous funding towards Hillary Outdoor courses for next season. With this wonderful support, more young adults will be able to experience of these fabulous adventures
From all the team at Peel Forest Outdoors Centre thank you again to Pub Charity
April 13th – working bee at the lodge – more details to follow
Officially now Autumn, the beginning of March remain warm and sunny here at Peel Forest & we are very busy running our outdoor programs. However Easter holidays are just round the corner & we’ve put together our Peel Forest Holiday Program – April 15th – 28th April. Details can be found under Schools header : http://peelforestoutdoors.org.nz/peel-forest-holiday-program-2
Summers finally here and we at the centre are gearing up for one of our biggest summer yet! Looking forward to meeting everyone booked on a course or activity in the next couple of months.
We hosted another Duke of Edinburgh course in January – more courses are scheduled for March & April. Check out our calendar or give us a call if you’d like to join in
We also hosted Recreate NZ camp last month – check out the rafting photos. The team had a great time staying at the Eco Lodge and a talent evening was held…we’re still waiting for the YouTube of one of our instructors Paddy singing Britney Spears…watch this space !
As a charitable trust, we relie on very generous funders & sponsors to assist us in running our courses and activities. The Southern Trust very kindly help fund our Program and Safety Manager role and from all of us here at the centre – Thank you !
Eco Lodge update – thanks to everyone who has kindly donated towards the upgrades via Givealittle, in person or privately. We are very humbled by everyone generosity. We would like to thank in particular the Alterno Foundation for the amazing donation for the water supply. We are so excited to be able to beginning the work shortly on the water upgrade – thank you again.
A huge THANK YOU to Air Rescue and Community Services for their very generous funding of two Garmin Inreach explorers!
These vital pieces of equipment can send and receive messages, navigate a route, track and share the journey, great for our teams out on adventures and our HQ team
Many, many thanks again to Air Rescue & Community services for the funding.
Thery were purchased from Kathmandu Ashburton
21st January – Eco Lodge upgrades
We hope you all had a wonderful break over the Christmas and New Year holidays with family & friends and feel refreshed for the new year.
After 25 years of providing accommodation for schools, community groups & public in our QEII covenant site, our awesome Eco Lodge is in need of some upgrades:
Water Supply Upgrade:
With more erratic weather systems our historic water supply has been become unusable. We are looking to install a rainwater harvesting system with upgraded storage capacity and filtration systems.
Kitchen Facility Upgrade
The Eco Lodge kitchen was originally intended for a small group of students living on site for conservation courses. With an increase in school groups and larger numbers we are needing to adapt our kitchen to suit. This would include a gas oven, large low energy refrigeration unit and upgraded wetback system.
Alternative Energy Backup:
A generator with auto starting capacity to allow future protection of our battery bank by avoiding battery storage being run too low.
These projects take a lot of money so we have set up a give-a-little page to help us raise the funds so we can start the projects as soon as possible and continue to provide low cost accommodation to support our outdoor courses :
Any donation is truly appreciated from all of us here at the outdoor centre 👍👍
A reminder that we are running Peel Forest Holiday Programs- Thursday 24th to Sunday 27th January 2019. There will be 4 activity days aimed at students & families. These are sure to be a great day out for all & proving popular already. Don’t miss out, please see the holiday program information under the Schools tab on the main menu flyer and registration forms or contact Julie at the centre on email@example.com, 03 696 3832 or 027 262 6049
As always, we are indebted to our wonderful funders & sponsors who continue to support the centre:
Air Rescue Services Limited, Estate S A Hensley Charitable Trust, Pub Charity, Sargood Trust, The Southern Trust, Trust Aoraki, W Toomey Charitable Trust, Community Trust Mid &South Canterbury, North End Motors Geraldine, Kumho Tyres, Woodleys Transport& Contracting, Ashley Electronics.